The mines were adapted sea mines each containing about 700 KG of high explosive.
The bomb fuse mechanism on this type was controlled by a clock.
The clock was normally timed to explode the mine about 22 seconds after its fall.
If it failed to do so, it might be restarted by the slightest movement, even a footstep.
The amount of the clock already run off could not be known, and once it was restarted time for escape could not be more than a few seconds.
Magnetic mines were first dropped over London in September 1940,
several bomb disposal officers had been killed whilst attempting to defuse this new type.
Being aware of this fact Lieutenant Lewis-Lavender came forward without hesitation for the perilous work of making them safe.
After successfully defusing the closer of the two mines Lieutenant Lewis-Lavender
retired to take tea with Mr and Mrs Stephen Padfield of Lambourne Hall.
Shortly after begining work on the second mine Lieutenant Lewis-Lavender was killed by its explosion.
He was survived by his Widow Frances and five children.
Two Mines fell in the field next to Church Lane
.Lambourne Church Lambourne Hall Unexploded type C mine. Heinkel 111 Bomber
Mentioned in dispatches December 1940
click image to read citation